FIRST VISIT TO OUR STUDIO?
YAY! CHECK OUT SOME OF OUR FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS.
Is your skin care studio kid friendly?
How long does my hair have to be for sugaring?
I’m on my period, can I get sugared?
Is sugaring during pregnancy safe?
Who can’t do sugaring?
- Please have a doctor clear you for sugaring if you are taking medications that thin the skin (such as Retin-A), blood thinners, or medications that cause you to be sun-sensitive (Example: Acutane, Differin, Renova).
- We cannot sugar over moles, cold sores or broken skin (ouch!)
- Did you just get a light peel on your face and now you want to be sugared? We ask that you wait 7 days before getting sugaring on any area of your body that has experienced a chemical peel or microdermabrasion.
Any instructions for after sugaring?
- For 24 hours after your service stay clean, cool and free from friction.
- 24 hours after your service refrain from strenuous activity that might get sweat/bacteria on the freshly sugared area. This includes working out and or sexual activity. Doing these things will increase the likelihood of ingrown hairs (and those suck!)
- Please don’t suntan for about 48 hours after you’ve been sugared. You are freshly exfoliated and we want to avoid sun damage and burning.
- 48 hours after being sugared begin daily exfoliation on the sugared area.
What is your cancellation policy?
The time you schedule is reserved for your exclusive use. When appointments are missed or cancelled without sufficient notice, we’re often unable to fill them. The financial impact of these late cancellations can be substantial. As a courtesy, The Portland Girl sends appointment confirmations forty-eight hours in advance, however, it is ultimately your responsibility to notate and remember your reservation with us.
Should you need to cancel or reschedule your appointment with us, we request twenty-four (24) hours’ notice. If you don’t provide notice (or miss your appointment altogether), you may be charged a fee in accordance with the following:
- Cancellations with less than twenty-four hours’ notice will result in a charge equal to 50% of the scheduled services.
- For appointments 2+ hours in length, we require forty-eight hours’ notice to avoid being charged for 50% of the scheduled services.
- No-call no-shows will result in a charge equal to 100% of the scheduled services.
- Guests who repeatedly cancel without adequate notice and/or fail to appear to their scheduled appointments will be asked to pay for future appointments in full at the time of booking.
Thank you so much for your understanding!
What if I'm running late to an appointment?
What is your product return policy?
Clients under 18 years of age MUST have a parent or guardian present for their first appointment. Parent or guardian will be required to sign our minor waiver form and check all approved services before any services can be performed.
Any other policies I need to know about?
- Your health and safety are of paramount importance to us at The Portland Girl. We trust the information you provide to us on your client intake form. Successful service execution requires your full disclosure during all pre-service consultations. The Portland Girl will not be responsible for any adverse reactions to services rendered in circumstances where a guest has failed to inform us of contraindicating conditions.
- Trust our professional judgement! The Portland Girl reserves the right to refuse services at our discretion when necessary.
- To maintain a relaxing, comfortable atmosphere for all guests, we politely request that cell phones be silenced or powered off in the salon’s treatment areas.
Does The Portland Girl have a rewards program?
YES! Make sure to opt-in to our loyalty program to start earning rewards on all of your purchases at The Portland Girl.
Login to your MindBody account and hit rewards to sign up OR ask our guest services team to sign you up when you come in for your next appointment.
You will automatically earn 1 point for every dollar spent on products and services at The Portland Girl. You can use your credit towards future purchases!
Facial FAQ’s + Contraindications:
Because The Portland Girl uses non-toxic products, our clients rarely leave their facials irritated or even mildly pink! Many clients explain how lovely their skin looks post-facial and that they were used to looking red and irritated after facials.
Last time I got a facial, I broke out. Should I try again?
Are your products vegan or gluten free?
What facial should I get?
What are LED Facials?
What are the contraindications for LED therapy?
- Panic Disorder / Claustrophobia
- Hypersensitivity to light or “photoallergy”
- Tendency toward photo-toxic reactions
- Taking of photo-sensitizing or photo-toxic medication
- Do not use with heat inducing products
- Do not use with chemical peels
- Do not use if under a physician’s care
What is microdermabrasion?
While some microderm machines leave clients feeling “raw” and uncomfortable, the machine that we use is cutting edge and effective while also being gentle on the skin. It feels similar to being licked by a kitten tongue (it might sound odd, but it’s our best way to describe it). You’ll leave this treatment with extremely smooth skin and a beautiful glow that will last for at least a week!
What are the contraindications for microdermabrasion?
- Any contagious disease
- Blood transmitted diseases (HIV, hepatitis, herpes)
- Retin-A • Isotretinoin (Sotret, Claravis, Accutane-no longer made)
- Any drug that causes sensitivity to sun exposure
- Skin irritation or rash (wait at least 48 hours after waxing)
- Diabetes (insulin dependent)
- Currently under a physician’s care for any injury, illness or disease
Post Peel Care
- Stay out of the sun for the next 24 hours, and make sure to always use your SPF any time you had out for the day!
- Peels provide a LOT of exfoliation, so skip your other exfoliating products (acids, retinols +scrubs) for the next 5-7 days.
- Feeling dry or experiencing mild flaking for the first week is normal, but you must keep your skin EXTRA hydrated during this time. Drink lots of water, use moisturizer and work more hydrating and healing products into your daily routine.